Tips for Writing a Cover Letter
Writing a cover letter can seem like a challenging task, yet it is essential in helping you to secure the vital interview. Find some useful hints and tips below to help you construct an effective cover letter.
Ensure that you have done the following:
- Read through the job advertisement, company website and job description carefully.
- Used the correct address and date.
- Left blank lines where necessary as per the example “XXXX” and between paragraphs.
- Included the correct title of the person you are addressing. Phone the company beforehand and find out if the person is male or female, addressing the person correctly shows extra care.
- Used a title line.
- Signed your name correctly.
- Highlighted relevant information such as your experience and suitability for the position.
- Requested an interview.
- Indicated that you have enclosed your CV.
- Mentioned where you learnt of the vacancy.
- Strengthened your application by mentioning your referees. Example: “I have discussed my application with Hayley Barnes, Head of Department Maths, and Dr Michael Lubbe, former Principal. They have both encouraged me to apply for this position and have kindly agreed to act as my referees.”
- Made it quite clear as to the position you are applying for.
- Write the covering letter on A4 paper so that it is the same size as your CV.
- Made a photocopy of your covering letter. File this together with copies of your CV, job application form and any other company reference material that could still prove useful for further interviews or future applications.
- First impressions count, make sure your covering letter and CV are professionally finished to make the right impression.
- Place your covering letter and CV into an appropriately sized envelope. Do not bend them or force them inside an envelope which is too small.
The purpose of writing a cover letter is to secure an interview. You will then be able to represent yourself in person and prove to them why you are most suited to the position.
An example of a cover letter for job application.
Writing a letter of complaint.
Parts of a business letter.
Formal letter format.
Return from writing a cover letter to the homepage.