Types of Business Letters
The types of business letters below are all written in the formal letter format.
- Letter requesting information
- Letter of complaint
- Letter to the Editor
- Letter requesting an application form
- Letter of acceptance
- Letter of resignation
- Letter of application
- Cover Letter
- Letter of recommendation
- Letter of acknowledgement
- Letter of appreciation
- Business thank you letter
- Post interview thank you letter
- Letter of congratulations
- Letter of recognition
- Letter of invitation
- Letter to creditors
- Collection letter – notice of outstanding payments due.
- Letter requesting sponsorships/donations
- Letter of welcome
- Letter of apology
- Letter of rejection
- Marketing letter
- Letter of intent
Parts of a Formal Business Letter
The formal letter format is also sometimes referred to as the business letter. Business letters are more formal than personal letters in a number of different ways:
They usually address matters of importance.
- They are sent to people in senior and influential positions.
- The tone is businesslike, respectful and courteous.
- The subject matter is structured logically and is clear and to the point.
- No postscripts, slang words or condensed date formats are used.
- They can be fully blocked or indented. Most companies have however adopted the fully blocked layout.
The formal letter format is often used when applying for an academic program or a job, filing a complaint, confirming an agreement or simply expressing your opinion in a coherent manner. To ensure the effectiveness of formal letters, you must be aware of the correct format. Read more>>>>
Graphic organizers for business letters.
Here you will find a selection of graphic organizers for writing. They are in PDF format. You will need an Adobe Reader to view and print them. If you do not have a Reader, you may download one here free. Read more>>>>
Tips for writing a cover letter.
Writing a cover letter can seem like a challenging task, yet it is essential in helping you to secure the vital interview. Find some useful hints and tips below to help you construct an effective cover letter. Read more>>>>>
Formal letter format.
Return from types of business letters to the homepage.