Narrative writing is storytelling, which can be developed in many different ways:Chronological order (time order),cause and effect, comparison and contrast and definition. The chronological order is used most often - from what happened first to what happened next. To create a successful narrative it is essential to decide on the point of your essay and make sure that all the material used substantiates this point.
Freewriting is a useful prewriting technique for planning your narratives. As you think about the story jot down any ideas that come into your mind.
Researching the topic of narrative writing lead me to WriteExpress.com and the article below which provides an excellent overview for narrative writing.
Please click on the link in the recommended links below to read the narrative writing article as it appears on the WriteExpress.com site.
How to Write a Narrative Essay
Learn how to write a narrative essay with these easy-to-follow tips.
Writing a Narrative Essay
There's nothing like reading a great narrative. Whether in novel or essay form, a narrative piece of writing transports readers into the time and space of the world portrayed by the writing.
There's also nothing like writing a great narrative. Through reflecting upon an event, and through recreating the experience for other readers, writing a narrative essay can enable you to develop new, subtle, and rewarding perspectives.
Basic qualities of a narrative essay:
- A narrative essay is a piece of writing that recreates an experience through time.
- A narrative essay can be based on one of your own experiences, either past or present, or it can be based on the experiences of someone else.
- In addition to telling a story, a narrative essay also communicates a main idea or a lesson learned.
First steps for writing a narrative essay:
- Identify the experience that you want to write about.
- Think about why the experience is significant.
- Spend a good deal of time drafting your recollections about the details of the experience.
- Create an outline of the basic parts of your narrative.
Writing about the experience:
- Using your outline, describe each part of your narrative.
- Rather than telling your readers what happened, use vivid details and descriptions to actually recreate the experience for your readers.
- Think like your readers. Try to remember that the information you present is the only information your readers have about the experiences.
- Always keep in mind that all of the small and seemingly unimportant details known to you are not necessarily known to your readers.
Communicating the significance of the experience:
- It's often effective to begin your narrative with a paragraph that introduces the experience and communicates the significance. This technique guarantees that your readers will understand the significance of the experience as they progess through the narrative.
- Another effective technique is to begin the essay by jumping directly into the narrative and then ending the essay with a paragraph communicating the significance of the experience. This approach allows your readers to develop their own understanding of the experience through the body of the essay and then more deeply connect to your expression of the significance at the end.
- You might also consider introducing the experience in the first paragraph but delaying your expression of the significance of the experience until the end of the essay. This approach heightens your readers' sensitivity to the significance of the narrative.
Revising your narrative essay:
- After spending time away from the draft of your narrative essay, read through the essay and think about whether the writing effectively recreates the experience for your readers.
- Ask other people to read through the essay and offer their impressions.
- Identify where more details and descriptions are needed.
- Identify and consider removing any information that seems to distract from the focus and main narrative of the essay.
- Think about whether you've presented information in the most effective order.
Click here http://www.writeexpress.com/narrative-essay.html
to read the complete article.
The original narrative essay.
Tips for writing essays.
Return from narrative writing to the homepage.