How to Write Poetry
Looking for tips on how to write poetry? Refer to the suggestions below:
- The poem should contain a new idea, the idea which is presented in a poetic form.
- It is extremely important to determine the correct balance between the form and content of the poetic work.
- The knowledge of laws and rules of versification must accompany the talent. It may happen that the main idea of poetry is unique, but the originality is damaged by the wrongly selected technique. In such a situation experienced literary critics may notice the limping rhythm and inappropriate use of poor rhyme. In most cases, creativity is nothing without basic rules of theory.
- Pay attention to rhyme, the most important feature of poetry. It makes the lines combine into stanza, and highly facilitates the perception of the poem by the reader. Everything seems simple. However, there are a number of rhymes that are considered "bad" or "hackneyed."
Here is a list of sounds that should not be overused:
· "Trivial rhymes." These phrases are often used by the beginners, everyone starts with them. For example, "to me – to be”, “love – glove”," "Roses - noses," and others. Trivial rhymes are the most commonplace of all and can easily reveal the underdeveloped poetic skills of the author.
· "Verbal rhyme." For example, "will - chill," "to read - to bleed." Such lines have absolutely no novelty and require minimum writer’s effort. This kind of talk can also be found in the classics. However, it’s very dangerous to overuse them. Verbal rhymes are good for the parody and stylization, but only wherever it is really appropriate.
· Approximate rhymes. The so-called dissonance (discrepancy between consonant sounds) and assonance (mismatch of vowels).
- Frankly speaking, the rhyme in each poem must be unique; it should not migrate from one text to another.
- Remember each poet has his own “spice”. Try to find yours!
- Too many original rhymes are not good for the ears. If you cannot find the harmony, try to build another phrase, write the line all over again, change the line positions.
When learning how to write poetry,it does not mean that you cannot express your thoughts as freestyle, in a unique form. If you want to compose a blank verse – feel free to do it with a great pleasure! There is no limit to perfection in the work. Try to read more classics and contemporary authors, again and again, learn how to master the language and skillfully use this wealth in your work.
This is a guest post by Colin Holmes a content writer at Write My Papers.
Thank you Colin for the notable tips on How to Write Poetry.
Return from how to write poetry to the homepage.