Argumentative Essay Topics
Choosing argumentative essay topics requires more thought than one would think.
Here are some points to consider before making your final decision:
- Have you considered both sides of the argument? Is the topic arguable? Does it have sufficient PROS and CONS to provide enough bulk to your essay?
- Are you interested in the topic? If not, pick something else, you will be putting lots of time and effort into the subject and will be learning a great deal. More interest means better research and will ultimately lead to better grades.
- Does your topic matter right now? Is it relevant?
- Focus on a specific topic and not one that is too broad. Eg. Abortion is too broad, but birth defects and early termination is more specific.
Some sample argumentative essay topics
- South Africa heart of Africa.
- If we are under the age of 30 and want a healthy life, we should definitely get a bicycle instead of a car.
- Polygamy is quite natural.
- Vegetarians are prone to osteoporosis.
- For women there is no need for men.
- Cheating helps students learn.
- Cheating is beneficial for students.
- Stress is good for the human body.
- Standard American diets cause cancer.
- Technology has replaced the human factor.
- Child obesity
- 16 year olds are too young to drive.
- Using animals for scientific research.
- Euthanasia – your right to die.
- Murderers should face the death penalty.
- Sex education will reduce teenage pregnancy.
- Sex education will reduce the incidence of Aids.
- Football unifies nations.
- Advertising. Information or manipulation?
- The election process: fair or flawed?
- Climate change is man-made.
- Paternity leave a dad’s right.
- Net nannies a must for every child.
- Free condoms prevent pregnancy.
- Free condoms promoting irresponsible behaviour.
- Pupils from monastic schools are more ambitious.
- Good looking girls get the jobs.
- Children are parent driven.
- Facebook rules the world.
- Naughty children absent parents.
- Will e-books replace books as the primary source of information?
- Does technology give you more free time?
- Parents are responsible for bad behaviour in kids.
- 65 Years the ripe age for retirement.
- TV: Blessing or curse? Discuss
- Women are better parents than men.
- Vegetarians are healthier than meat eaters.
- Tests and exams lift education standards.
- No more paper technology rules.
Argumentative essay outlines choose one of three.
Start your essay outline with a Venn diagram
Refutation prompts to use when writing argumentive essay.
More argumentative essay tips.
Tips for writing essays.
Return from argumentative essay topics to homepage